College of Liberal Arts & Sciences in the media between May 11 and May 18, 2015
When Jyleesa Hampton arrived at KU as a freshman, debate coach Scott Harris told her there was a place on the squad for students of all skill levels.
That was her — never a high school debate superstar, not much experience, limited knowledge.
A month ago she was half of KU’s first all-female and first all-African-American debate team to make it to the equivalent of the “Sweet 16” of the National Debate Tournament, along with partner Quaram Robinson. At the Cross Examination Debate Association National Tournament, where the duo finished second, Hampton was named National Debater of the Year.
“Working really hard was kind of the key to my success, and keeping the fire,” Hampton said. “Once you perfect the craft or perfect the skill, then that translates to accolades and success ... but it took me some time to do so.”
Hampton loves learning. She wants to put her three majors to work understanding complex issues like police brutality, how poverty affects children’s success and how public policy affects women of color.
Additional media coverage includes:
- You Asked: Are My Devices Messing With My Brain? - TIME magazine
- Hopeful Thinking (Not Optimism) Step One to Help Turn Baltimore Around - Huffington Post
- Bee hotels: One way to help native bees - The Washington Post
- Political talk on Facebook mirrors political talk offline University of Kansas - EurekAlert
- Who discusses politics on Facebook? - Technology Videos - RedOrbit
- Ulster reveals finalists for president - Times Herald-Record
- Tweaking the beak: Retracing the bird's beak to its dinosaur origins, in the laboratory - Science Daily
- Why I Chose Teaching... and How UKanTeach Helped - KPR
- Scientists working to 'perfect' ways to identify signs of life on Mars - Yahoo! Canada
- Life On Mars Could Be Detected With New Technique (VIDEO) - Headlines and Global News
- Scientists working to identify signs of life on Mars - Daily Times
- Spike Lee breaks silence about 'Chiraq' movie co-written by Lawrence filmmaker Kevin Willmott - Kansas City Star
- What will you miss most about Lawrence? – LJWorld
- Sarah’s ‘village’: Support helps KU student with Asperger’s reach diploma - LJWorld