College of Liberal Arts & Sciences in the media between March 30 and April 6, 2015
Whites Far More Likely to Approve of Police Striking People - New York Times
Whites in the United States approve of police officers hitting people in far greater numbers than blacks and Hispanics do, according to a major American trend survey.
Seven of 10 whites polled said they can imagine a situation in which they would approve of a police officer striking an adult male citizen, according to the 2014 General Social Survey. When asked the same question 42 percent of blacks and 38 percent of Hispanics said they could.
The poll results don't surprise experts on American attitudes toward police, who say experiences and history with law enforcement shape opinions about the use of violence by officers.
Charles R. Epp, a University of Kansas professor and author of the book about race and police stops, said the majority of whites believe they are going to get "reasonable and fair" treatment from officers, and that encounters ending in violence are caused by the suspect.
"My strong sense is that African Americans and Hispanics have too often experienced or have heard of experiences of police officers acting unfairly, so they're less willing to support the use of force by police officers," Epp said. "They're not sure it will be used fairly."
Additional media coverage includes:
- KU hires leading sociology professors to establish center for immigration studies - LJWorld
- KU alumnus, expert in ancient DNA returning as Foundation Distinguished Professor - LJWorld
- KU adds soil microbiology specialist to list of Foundation Distinguished Professors - LJWorld
- KU debate team finishes regular season as best in nation, three pairs advance to national tournament - University Daily Kansan
- University of Kansas to create immigration studies center - Washington Times
- University of Kansas to create immigration studies center - San Francisco Chronicle
- Monsanto donates $4M to save butterflies - Salt Lake Tribune
- Free Screening of Destination: Planet Negro! - LJWorld
- Chris Rock is taking a selfie every time a cop pulls him over - Washington Post
- KU School of Arts & Sciences unveils all-digital bachelor's degree program - 6 News
- Look for the 'blood moon' early Saturday - Topeka Capital Journal
- Far more whites than minorities approve of police hitting people - Dallas Morning News
- Whites far more likely to approve of police striking people - Newsday
- Whites approve of cops hitting people more than blacks, Hispanics: survey - New York Post
- Whites are far more likely than blacks to approve of the use of force by police - Business Insider
- Whites far more likely to approve of police striking people, poll finds - Chicago Tribune
- Don't be "Furious," it's a fantasy! - Lawrence.com
- Scene Stealers: Paul Walker, Furious 7 and digitally cheating death - Lawrence.com
- KU Theatre to open 'Flora, the Red Menace' on Friday - LJWorld